Are you a Somatic Experiencing® student or practitioner?
This project is designed to share thoughts and reflections on what I do and do not do as a psycho-biologically based somatic therapist specializing in SE®. It is targeted specifically for SE students, practitioners and associated helping care professionals so they can take these ideas and make their own work better than ever (and better than mine).
If that’s you, you’re in the right place.
If this is not you, you’ll probably find other public projects on liberationispossible.org more helpful as the specific nature of this project will not translate well to the general public.
Important background information:
This effort is born out of 5 basic issues
- In case consultation, assisting and educational roles with my SE colleagues I am regularly asked very similar questions. Rather than continue to answer these questions on an individual basis I have created this podcast to share them with a wider audience.
- I receive a lot of email questions about our work as SE practitioners. Some of this is specific to individuals or the training, some of it is relevant for more folks. This is a way for me to “scale” that conversation to include more people.
- Since entering the SE community in February 2004 I’ve been personally and professionally supported and enriched by countless people. This is one way for me to return the gift and offer my own cheerleading to others.
- I’m a fan of the “intellectual oasis,” safe places and times where you can hold unconventional ideas. This project offers me and you that kind of space.
- SE and the new traumatology are an ever expanding well-spring of insight and opportunity for growth. I hope to continue to be a part of this exploration for decades to come. That said, I have several other long term projects and concerns that continue to call for my attention. Eventually I hope to have completed enough of my impulse to share my understanding of SE with other therapists so I can redirect at least some of my attention toward issues directly related to social justice, human-ecological relationships and the unfolding ecological/social crises around us. This project is not a “farewell” to my participation with the SE community but it does act as a transitional effort to other cultural animation projects that I’m interested in pursuing.
How you can participate
- Share this with your friend’s and colleagues.
- Submit a question, thought or criticism for review.
- Hire me for a consultation, session or presentation.
- Inform me of a needed correction or reconsideration.
- Send me a word of encouragement or other thought.
- Create something beautiful and tell me about it. Then I can shout “That’s SO COOL!”
Questions and Answers
- Who is this for? Helping care professionals who are integrating psycho-biology and somatic therapy principles into their work, particularly Somatic Experiencing®.
- What is it? A blog and podcast series offering practical suggestions and theoretical reflections on the refined use of Somatic Experiencing and associated healing modalities.
- Who makes it? Me – Anthony Twig Wheeler – an SE practitioner and consultant who’s grokked this stuff. I can help you “grok” it too. That’s the point of this blog, to join in the effort to have more of us get it.
- Should I trust you? Not without consideration. Please don’t assume you can agree with me on 100% of what I offer here. That can’t and shouldn’t be done, don’t try.
- How much does it cost? The podcast series is free – though you can support it financially by hiring me as a consultant, practitioner or participating in a workshop or performance event. Donations are welcome too.
- How often is it updated? On Tuesdays and Saturdays with occasional extra episodes offered to the mix.
- How do I get updates? You can subscribe via Listen on iTunes, Android Apps to Subscribe or visit the main archive or RSS feed. Facebook and Twitter stuff may happen too.
- Can I participate? You can, and you’re encouraged to do so. There’s a list above with some ideas and I’m open to another creative idea if you’ve got one.
- Can I post comments? Yes and no. You can certainly send me questions or commentary and I really hope you will. If you’re on Facebook and Twitter you can comment there as well. I don’t maintain open comments on this site.
- How long will it last? I’m reaching toward 100 episodes. After that we’ll see if I have anything productive left to share. The blog is set up to be archived for long term access and durability.
- What level of training is this material? This blog project is NOT a reflection of the SE training or curriculum, though at times it will share certain logic. These reflections are meant to be be adjunctive to the training and the experience of practicing SE, much like reading a book by Dr. Robert Scaer or listening to a lecture by Stephen Porges PhD. If you are currently in the training, please be respectful of your faculty and classmates by not bringing material into your class from this blog that is clearly beyond the scope of your current training or colleagues.
- Where’s the copyright? This project is held under a creative commons copyright license. That means you can share these words with others as long as you give appropriate credit. Please do not try to capitalize (make money) from my efforts and do provide links back to this blog. I’m highly attentive to not exploiting other people’s material on this blog and I anticipate that you’ll do the same. Please review the creative commons license information at the bottom of this page if you’re interested in duplicating this work.
- Can I learn SE here? Nope. If you want to do that visit the Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute’s website.
- To be absolutely crystal clear: Twig’s SE Refections project is not a replacement for official training in Somatic Experiencing®. Please don’t pretend like it is – it is not. Agreed?
- Association Disclaimer: The words, opinions and perspectives expressed on LiberationIsPossible.org and Twig’s SE Reflections are those of Anthony Twig Wheeler and no other individual or institution unless otherwise noted. Twig alone is responsible for the content.
- Affiliation Disclaimer: I have had the opportunity to assist and consult with the Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute (SETI), formerly the Foundation for Human Enrichment (FHE), the sole body responsible for official professional training in Peter Levine’s Somatic Experiencing®. I am currently approved as a session provider and consultant by SETI to provide sessions, consultations and group consultations at all levels of the SE training. I hope this relationship will continue. However, I am not under the auspices or pay of SETI or any other related institution except if otherwise stated. This blog does not officially represent the views, opinions or policy of SETI.
- Perfection Disclaimer: Anthony Twig Wheeler, LiberationIsPossible.org and Twig’s SE Reflections blog assumes no responsibility for being perfect, beyond reproach or otherwise infallible. These are my best considered opinions about the nature of psycho-biologically informed somatic therapies, particularly as exemplified by Somatic Experiencing®. That said, there are different, varying and even contradictory perspectives out there which may have more accuracy than what I’ve presented here. Feel free to take issue, to disagree, even to think I’m an idiot, but please be respectful and aid my understanding when sharing a contrary opinion or clarification. And don’t take me too seriously, really, I can be just as big a fool as anyone else.
Creative Commons License
www.LiberationIsPossible.org by Anthony “Twig” Wheeler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.LiberationIsPossible.org/contact.
Most Recent Posts
- Catastrophic Thinking, Existential Threats & How SEP’s can help clients when they’re flipping out
- New Years Update for Twig’s SE Reflections
- Holiday Sessions – an episode that almost got away
- 098: Preparing Clients for Surgery
- Tea Interlude Check In During Continuing Publishing Hiatus
- 097: Common Mistakes SEP’s Make
- 096: Doing Other Stuff
- 095: After the Accident
- 094: Invitations to Orientation
- 093: To Linger or Move On?